Monday, June 21, 2010

White Sox Weekly Review: 6/21/10


Well everyone, like I said before, The Chicago White Sox are starting to re-group and as of yesterday's sweep of the Washington Nationals, they are still in 3rd place in the AL Central standings 5.5 games back of Minnesota, but more importantly, they sit at.500 for the first time since early April with a 34-34 record. Now I understand that this streak of wins comes against some bad teams (Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington, including 2 out of 3 from Detroit before that); however, it was important that we won these games. The reason is because the White Sox have finally found the confidence in hitting and pitching that can help them in the future. They have the confidence to go into ball games and say to themselves "hey, I can go out there knowing I can relax, have some fun, and win ball games without that much pressure. I know I have the talent to help my team win ball games and I will not let them down. I can be consistent out there." Before that, the Sox faced a lot of pressure from the media and the city itself because they were picked as the team to beat in the Central. They had the best pitching rotation on paper and had a roster similar to the roster they had in 05 (more contact hitters than power hitters) before the start of the year. They just had trouble finding that confidence and believing in each other to win ball games together. And if you don't believe me, look at my previous blog on my player review and tell me that I didn't say Freddy Garcia was the best pitcher out of the rotation so far this year. He just won his 5th straight game and improves to 8-3 on the year. The man is relaxed because he knows he has good stuff. As a pitcher, you have to take the mound knowing that you have good stuff and that you have the confidence to remain consistent and get players out. He has that and it is certainly paying off. I especially thought that the White Sox handled Strasburg well too. Although he fanned 10 of our players, Gavin Floyd saved the White Sox with his outstanding pitching and is the reason, I believe, that the SOX won that game. Strasburg is a great up and coming pitcher, but to see him get a no decision against the White Sox, that's ok with me. It could of been a lot worse if Gavin Floyd didn't have a great pitching outing, as we are used to seeing a lot this year. Gavin is starting to come around and I hope I'm wrong about him getting traded this year. I want him to stay but I don't control the organization. But I do hope Kenny Williams is reading my blogs lol.


Now the White Sox start a big series at home against the NL East leading Atlanta Braves for a 3 game set. The Sox will send Danks, Buehrle, and Floyd to the mound to face Hanson, Hudson, and Lowe, all who have won 7 or more games this year. I expect the SOX to take 2 out 3 from Atlanta at home, then a possible sweep of the CUBS, and then hopefully 2 out 3 from Kansas City. Atlanta will be a tough opponent for the White Sox, but it's the right opponent that the White Sox need to challenge their confidence. Please leave any comments and share what you think about the progress of the Chicago White Sox so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment